with Mushrooms, Sprouts, and Basmati Rice
Lately I have been refocusing on food and putting extra effort into making wholesome yet delicious meals and new recipes. I love Indian food, which is why I jumped at the chance to make dal. Like many others, I was under the impression that cooking Indian food was going to be challenging to take on, but fortunately I found it pretty straight forward. So if you’ve never tried making Indian food before, trust me, this one is fool proof!
For the Dal:
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 2-3 inch piece of Ginger Root, finely grated (2-3 tablespoons)
- 2 inch piece of Turmeric Root, finely grated (about 2 tablespoons)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Curry Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Red Lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- 50 oz Vegetable Stock
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 1/2 cups Basmati Rice, cooked and set aside
- 5 medium Crimini Mushrooms, sliced thin
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
In a large stock pot, combine all the dal ingredients except for the lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat and let cook for 30 minutes minimum, stirring occasionally. After dal has thickened, remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
Heat the mushrooms in a frying pan with a touch of olive oil, salt, and pepper and let cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked.
To serve: In a wide or shallow bowl, add rice, dal, sprouts, and mushrooms. Enjoy! This meal makes for great leftovers.